Install Android 8.0 Oreo-Based AOSP ROM on Honor 8 Pro
Honor 8 Pro was one of the very best devices in its budget, right up there with the OnePlus 5. One of the many differences between the apparatus was the software expertise. Honor is a subbrand of Huawei, and so their smartphones operate Huawei’s EMUI Android skin whereas OnePlus 5 supplied a near-stock Android experience with OnePlus’ OxygenOS. If you thought you might always flash a custom ROM and moved for the more aggressively priced Honor 8 Pro, you and I think alike. Regrettably, creating an AOSP ROM for your device is perhaps harder due to the completely different chipset used. And of course, Stock Android still has nothing that can make use of dual camera sensors. So while you can install an AOSP ROM, it came with major drawbacks.
There are a few AOSP custom ROMs for Honor 8 Guru before according to Android Nougat. The major difficulty being the camera quality since the camera software couldn’t benefit from the dual camera setup. When Android Oreo-based AOSP ROM arrived, it had many bugs but they were soon squashed out with an update. This upgrade not just brought stability to the ROM but also brought the Stock Huawei camera program. This means you can enjoy the majority of the characteristics that the dual camera sensors bring just like you would with stock Huawei software. The attractiveness mode on the front-facing camera is the exception for this, however, I really don’t see why it can not be fixed with future upgrades.
The ROM also supports job Treble which is possibly a reason why the evolution was as quickly as it had been. Many versions of the Honor 8 Guru are yet to get the official upgrade that was promised at the end of 2017. Project Treble demands that the apparatus should be able to run an AOSP build of Android. Huawei might not be the fastest in regards to Android updates, but the organization is leading the way in regards to supporting Job Treble. Huawei has brought project treble support to all its elderly apparatus through EMUI 8.0 although that was not compulsory. This only shows that the 3rd biggest smartphone maker is intent on providing updates.
For us, this means we could easily flash a system image and enjoy our Stock Android just how we like.
- Here is how to unlock the bootloader on Huawei devices, in case your device remains secure.
- You don’t necessarily require a custom recovery but you’ll want your apparatus to be running on EMUI 8.0 because it supports project treble. In the event, your device remains running on EMUI 5.0 do not worry because we can guide you through the process of accessing it to EMUI 8.0.
Download AOSP ROM system image
How to install Android 8.0 Oreo-based AOSP ROM on Huawei Honor 8 Pro
- Installing the Oreo update will be quite easy if you have set up the official EMUI 8.0 beta upgrade that was leaked. Installing that is the harder, or actually still simple but more complicated part. You can refer to those through the links below.
- Chinese — Honor V9 EMUI 8.0 beta
- International — Honor 8 Pro EMUI 8.0 beta
- Indian — Honor 8 Pro EMUI 8.0 beta
- as soon as you are on the EMUI 8.0 beta ROM, go to Settings > System > About phone and tap on the build number several times to allow developer options. In the programmer alternatives, enable USB debugging.
- Connect your telephone to the PC and give USB debugging permissions on your phone when asked.
- Launch the ADB control interface and use the following command to boot up your apparatus in fastboot mode.
Adb reboot bootloader
- Currently, flash the downloaded program image using the next command.
- Replace /path/to/ with the positioning of your system.img file.
- Wait for the process to complete then disconnect your phone. Give up this Power button when the phone vibrates. It should boot into Stock Recovery, assuming you haven’t flashed a custom recovery after installing EMUI 8.0.
- From the stock recovery, pick Wipe/Factory reset and confirm the process when asked.
- Reboot your device and you will have a completely working Android Oreo-based AOSP ROM.
[Total: 1 Average: 5]